Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Say What???

So, I went to see Dr. Flechas this afternoon...and I almost don't know what to say.

I expected to go there and have one of two things happen: 1.) Walk in, tick off my ever-growing list of crazy symptoms and get the raised-eyebrow look and head scratch that I usually get from doctors or 2.) Find out that I have some simple problems that only seemed big, but in the end of the day were easy to fix. What actually happened is that he gave me a very thorough physical examination, asked me tons of questions, and while he did give me a few raised-eyebrow looks, he did not send me away without answers. He told me that he thought I had an iodine deficiency (fine), talked about treating my thyroid and all of that jazz (no big surprises there). He then went on to tell me that my problem was more serious than what he had originally anticipated when I came in and that he thinks I am having some spinal chord compression. It was all well and good as far as I was concerned until he mentioned the urologist, cardiologist and NEUROSURGEON I'd be visiting over the next few weeks. *gasp* Yes, people, that's right--If I have the kind of problem he thinks I have, then I will be having brain surgery. I have to say I didn't see that one coming (even in my over-active imagination). In fact, I was still busy worrying about the catheter ablation they wanted to do on my heart!

This is all preliminary, of course. I still have to get my brain and c-spine MRI results to him for him to analyze. I still have to wait for blood test results to get the full picture of how my body is functioning. I'm going back to Dr. Flechas in a month, so keep those prayers cranking!

Some of you might be wondering how I'm dealing with all of this new information (especially the people who know how much I worry about even the small things). You know what? I'm actually okay. Not great, mind you, but "okay". I had three or four crying jags as it all sank in (oh, and two more while I was still at the doctor's office--hee hee!), but I have been praying a lot (it sucks that stuff like this is what draws us closer to God--Blah!!)and I can't help but notice that even the way I found Dr. Flechas is too strange to be a coincidence. I really feel deep down that I went to him for a reason. I think the timing had a reason, too--God is doing something here--I am just not sure what right now. Part of me (the part that had just settled itself on the fact that I must have a progressive, degenerative nerve disease) is almost relieved by this news. Its kind of like how happy I got when I found out I had Hashimoto's Disease--Not exactly super news, but better than some other options we were considering at the time! If the problem this doctor thinks I have actually exists, then I can go to a neurosurgeon (yee haw.) and have two little tonsils removed from my cerebellum and possibly be cured. I can't even imagine life without fainting spells and muscle spasms, weakness and fatigue (or at least the constant fear of when a new flare-up could occur). It could be fixable. Not pleasant per se, but FIXABLE--Some things aren't. Andy told me that maybe this is God saying, "Here is an answer, but you're going to have to trust me"...

TRUST.

He had to teach a lesson in my hardest subject, didn't He?

*sigh*

Well, it is what it is. We'll see what happens! :o) That's all I've got for tonight!

8 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh, Jennifer! You are definitely in my prayers. I pray that God gives you courage and strength to go through all of this. Hang in there, girl!

Unknown said...

Jen, thanks for keeping us updated. Continued prayers for you. You sound so positive and you have so much faith. You are a true inspiration!

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh. Hugs to you and big prayers coming your way.

When will you know more?
So this is not a suspected tumor, but something else?

When would surgery be? If you need ANYTHING, say the word. I can try to be down there.

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Guys!!!!

Sharon--They are sure its not a tumor. I had brain and c-spine MRIs done two years ago and a couple of weeks ago and they all came back "normal"--The problem he thinks I have is one they can see on the MRIs I have already done if it really IS what I have--Radiologists see it pretty often,but without specific symptoms, it passes as "normal" Since I'm having fainting spells and a hard time with muscles and heart, etc...I get to see a neurosurgeon. *sigh* :o(

Your prayers mean everything right now-You have no idea...

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jen! Rick called today to let us know about your situation--we had no idea! We will definitely remember to pray for you as we go throughout the day. Miss you guys so much, especially lovable Landon. Praying for him and Andy as well that they would have peace during your recovery. Hugs from Seattle!

Andrea said...

Jen! Prayers to you everyday and night as you know.

How does this happen? Do they know how all this came about? I'm glad that you are doing okay. All you can do is put it in God's hands.

Love you!

Anita & Ryan Goodman said...

I will be praying for you! I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of this! :-(

On the bright side, I'm looking forward to seeing you on Saturday at Jessica's wedding! :-)

*~JennD.'J.M.J.'~* said...

Jen ~ Keep your chin up, kiddo! We are all stormin' Heaven for ya!
Look to your email in a day or so; things have been hectic here, but I am trying to type up a good answer to your letter, ok?
Meanwhile, don't let any of this get you down; just PRAY and TRUST!
Keep saying the Our Father over and over, esp., that all-important phrase, "Thy Will be done..."
Love, JennD.*JMJ*