Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oops!

I left something important out!

My labs showed something that I think is going to turn out to be very important and I wanted to mention it because it's something that it could easily affect anyone. I had high levels (extremely, unusually high) of sulfate in my urine. This is usually caused by sodium lauryl sulfate which can be found in lots of different kinds of soap, shampoo, cleaners and lotions. You guys know I am usually on top of (okay, maybe "hyper-diligent" about!) keeping the dangerous stuff out of the house now, but somehow this one slipped through the cracks. I found this stuff in the shampoo I've been using since the "good" one Nancy gave to me ran out, in our toothpaste (that I know we shouldn't be using anyway), and worst of all...in our antibacterial hand soap. This stuff is not good for you! The doctor told me that it could be one of the causes of my heart arrhythmias. It's an interesting thought! Just thought I'd pass it along. :o)

4 comments:

Jessica said...

seriously? "In the cleaning industry SLS is used in garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers, car-wash soaps, etc. It is very corrosive and readily attacks greasy surfaces." awesome. guess i'll be reading my bottles a lot closer!!!

Unknown said...

SO so so scary. I have a lot Shaklee stuff in the house, it's about the only thing I trust. What about toothpaste though?What do you use? Or are you supposed to use? That is interesting.

Tina said...

Hi Jennifer,

I check in here every once in awhile, and I pray for you and your family regularly.

I don't know if you know about this site already, but it might be useful to you with regard to the sls etc.

www.cosmeticdatabase.com/

And this one as well.

www.safecosmetics.org/

Feel better,
Faustina.

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh, I knew it was something. Sodium lauryl sulfate is absolutely making sense - this stuff is bad, bad (and it is in most everything)!

Good job trying to get to the bottom of this stuff!

I hope to see you today!
Kelly