Thursday, February 7, 2008

Not The Big Bang I Was Hoping For

Well, the Pfaffls officially made it to Ash Wednesday Mass last night (whew!)....but we made the mistake of bringing the munchkin with us. I hate using the word "mistake" because Andy and I both really do love taking Landon to Mass with us (but you'll see why I used that term in a moment...). We both think it's good to expose him to our Sunday routine...and I also hate it when Andy and I have to "take shifts" watching Landon on Sundays--We either end up going to church alone or not at all (the latter being the most common outcome lately)...So, anyways, the three of us (and diaper supplies and a bag full of toys and books--ha ha!) made our way into church ON TIME last night. I can't really tell you what happened after that, except that the kids who were in the cry room were making faces at Landon through the window...that Landon's little Chick Hicks race car kept falling to the concrete floor, echoing a loud crash each time (during the quietest times of the service, no less)...Oh, I can also proudly report to you that my darling son announced he "had poop" loudly just before communion--That was super exciting for everyone. As it turns out, there was no poop, but there was a big production getting him out to the car in the rain to find that out. Let's see what else I got out of Mass...Hmm--well, Landon (who was thrilled to be getting ashes on his forehead, even though he didn't know what ashes were) was very solemn while he was getting the cross put on his head. He was so quiet while he stood in front of the deacon and had this sweet "I am important" look on his face....that is until he saw ME walking behind him back to our seats with black ashes smeared on my head. He thought I was doing some silly thing just for his amusement and just cracked up. He kept saying (in an "outdoor voice" so that he could be sure that I would hear him over the music, if you know what I mean), "You have black stuff all over your head!! Mom! There's black stuff on you! (giggle fit and frantic pointing here)" I can also tell you that the man who gave me my host at Communion had a gross dirty Band-Aid on his finger...Being the annoying germ-o-phobe that I am, I almost wanted to say, "No thank you" to the communion and keep going, but I dutifully put it in my mouth, chewed and swallowed, content only after realizing that Andy had carried Landon up to take Communion (leaving him "hand-less") and he got the Band-Aid put directly in his mouth --heh heh heh!

So, in closing, I made it to Mass. I was totally distracted, but it somehow still felt good to be there and to be meeting my goals, you know? I made it to Mass. On a Wednesday, no less. With energetic pre-schooler in tow (and he was as good and quiet and still as any pre-schooler could be expected to be, poor thing). After we got home, Landon fell asleep (we were hoping this would happen an hour earlier...). He woke up after a little bit and said in his raspy little sleepy voice, "Mommy? I'm sorry I was loud in church." He was so sad and disappointed in himself! I took his little face in my hands and I said, "Look at my eyes." He looked at me with his chin quivering and tears in his eyes and I told him, "You were just exactly what I wanted you to be, okay? You were perfect." He smiled and said, "Okay." and then hugged me and went back to sleep...and I said a Rosary and went to bed, too.

Mass. No meat. Rosary...I'm doing pretty good so far in spite of being a mom (and apparently having a bad case of ADD)--hee hee hee!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

That is wonderful you got to Mass. I was laughing throughout your entire post though because it sounds like our regular routine, plus add a six month old little girl who is very LOUD now!

We also get the delight of - I have to PEE.. even though I've been somewhat suspcious if that's just a way to get out of there for a couple of minutes.

This is what I try to remember when I'm wondering "Why am I hear, I don't hear anything, I don't get anything out of this, everyone is staring at me".. Jesus said "Let the children come to me" (or something like that.. ha ha.. me and quotes) and sometimes it does people good to hear children. I have a Ask Sister Mary Martha on my blog and she a few posts about bringing children to Mass. Made me feel good. =)

I'm so glad you got your Rosary in. I'm only doing a Decade a day.. I'm not as good. HA! I got it done the last two days. Woo hoo.

Oh and *puking* to the band aid.. icky, icky. Hey.. speaking of that, do you take the wine/blood? Many people have said to me.. that's like backwash. I had never thought of that, but I still haven't taken it.. weird huh?

Okay.. sorry for the book.

Unknown said...

Aww, thats so sweet! You are such a great mom!

Andrea said...

I've been thinking about this all day and how you were talking about how you talked to Landon after it was all over with. That just really touched my heart.. makes me want to try even harder with my kids. I can be such a crab.

Jennifer said...

Thanks you guys for the ego boost! I certainly don't feel like this super mom, believe me! I think we're all a lot alike and that we all lose our tempers and get mad at ourselves--We all have questions and insecurities and we're all sort of learning as we go along--Don't you think? I read each of your blogs and think, "Man! I should have thought to do that with my kids!" or "I wish I had that kind of patience!" or "I wish I knew how to stand up for myself like that!"

Andrea--About your last comment--The moment touched my heart, too--I had been impatient with him during Mass, but in the end of the day, a two year old can only act like a two year old, right? I hate it when other people expect Landon to be able to sit perfectly still and behave like a 12 year old, so of course I hate seeing myself treat him that way, too. I have to step back every once in a while and remind myself of that. You have to walk that fine line between over-disciplining and under-disciplining--LOL! I just hated seeing the tears and disappointment...The poor little thing was so upset with himself and I thought for HOURS he was just being snarky--ha ha ha! Anyways, thanks for the comments--I love ya!

Sue said...

are you sure Jack & Landon aren't related?? :)